Opal: Food+Body Wisdom Presents
Do No Harm: Empowering Yoga Instructors to Understand Food + Body Issues in The Yoga Community
Date: Wednesday, February 6th
Time: 6:30 – 8:30 pm
Location: Opal: Food+Body Wisdom
Intended Audience: This discussion group is intended for (but not limited to) Yoga Instructors and Studio Owners.
This workshop is facilitated by a team of experts in the eating disorder treatment field who are also trained yoga instructors. Participants will have the opportunity to build awareness around disordered relationships to food and body and discuss how these may show up in the yoga environment. The group will start out with a short lecture portion and then allow time for open discussion. This is an ongoing series covering new topics in each session while allowing for continuing conversation and connection.
This session will focus on using inclusive language. We’ll look at the ways that language is used in marketing, social media, in classes, and in trainings. We’ll also discuss the connection between the yogic lifestyle and diet, and how promoting a certain way of eating can be harmful to students and fellow and future yoga teachers.
Ongoing topics from previous sessions that we hope to discuss include:
- How the dominant cultural narrative contributes to body exclusivity in yoga spaces
- Creating context around eating disorders and the spectrum of food and body issues in our culture.
- How to create a studio/class culture that is safe, welcoming, body inclusive, and eating disorder informed.
- Understanding appropriate boundaries and the scope of the yoga instructor role when it comes to providing support to students that are actively struggling with food and body concerns.
- Beginning a conversation about how the dominant cultural paradigm impacts our relationship to self and discuss ways to embody a new, respectful path through radical self-care.
Kendra Appe, LMHCA, Registered Yoga Teacher
Lauren Donelson, Registered Yoga Teacher
Madeline Young, BS, LMT, Registered Yoga Teacher
Camille Dodson, Registered Yoga Teacher
Questions? Contact Camille@opalfoodandbody.com